Cilantro Lime Chicken
- 2.5 – 3 pounds chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or bone broth
- 1/2 cup loosely packed, coarsely chopped cilantro plus extra for topping
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice plus extra for topping
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
- coconut, for drizzling
- 3 ripe avocadoes
- Trim the chicken breasts and place them in the crockpot.
- In a small bowl, whisk the broth, lime juice, olive oil, spices, garlic, and cilantro. Pour the mixture over the chicken breasts, being sure to coat them well.
- Cook on high for approximately four hours or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Use two forks to pull apart and shred the chicken. Cut the avocados in half and remove the pits. Top the avocados with shredded chicken.
- Add more cilantro for garnish, and a squeeze of lime juice and drizzle of coconut on top.
Lime Cilantro Chicken – a perfect Spring recipe!
Happy April! I’m so excited for spring! It is already getting warmer and rainier here, and I love every second of it. We have some plants in containers inside that can finally go out, including herbs and a beautiful little rose bush that my husband gave me. We’re also house shopping and very eager to have a bountiful garden in the near future! I’ve pulled out gardening articles and books that belonged to my grandmother and have been researching square foot gardening and other ways to maximize our garden space. All three of us are really excited about our own produce and flowers!
I love the lighter, colorful food that spring and summer bring too (plus the farmers’ markets that are about to open again!). I haven’t made this lime chicken dish in a long time, but it is one of my favorites! Using a crock pot to cook the chicken gives it the perfect texture to shred, and you can’t go wrong with avocados, lime, cilantro, and a bit of coconut milk on top. 🙂 I love this recipe because it is delicious, very easy to prepare, and looks very pretty. It is also a great opportunity to double or triple the chicken so you can have prepped protein for lunches for the rest of the week.
Other Ways to use Shredded Chicken
Extra chicken left over? There are lots of ways to use it! Consider using the extra shredded chicken in chicken soup, tacos, quesadillas, chili, nachos, or as a pizza topping. The cilantro lime chicken, in particular, makes a filling and delicious protein to add to salads as well. Finally, you can make chicken and dumplings or use the chicken as a topping on baked potatoes (or baked sweet potatoes!).