Barbecue Chicken Sweet Potatoes are a delicious dinner is packed with nutrition! Sweet potatoes are full of healthy carbs and fiber, vitamin A, potassium, and antioxidants. Chicken is an excellent source of lean protein, and when you top all of this with avocado you get an extra boost of fiber in addition to vitamins K, C, E, and B vitamins!
Begin this recipe with my Crock Pot Barbecue Chicken! Chicken cooked in the crock pot will give the best texture that will shred easily.
Barbecue Chicken Sweet Potatoes
- 1 recipe Crock pot Barbecue Chicken See link above
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Coarse salt
- Barbecue sauce
- Finely chopped green onions
- Pickled jalapenos
- 2 diced avocados
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Place the sweet potatoes in a large baking dish and drizzle them with olive oil, rubbing to coat the potatoes evenly. Sprinkle with a small amount of coarse salt. Use a fork to poke a few holes in the skin of the potatoes.
- Bake the sweet potatoes for about 45 minutes, until tender.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and slice them in half, almost to the bottom.
- Top the potatoes each with a large scoop of shredded barbecue chicken, then top with onions, diced avocadoes, pickled jalapenos, and an extra drizzle of barbecue sauce.
- If you’d prefer, you can omit the step in which you rub the potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. I like the texture of the potato skin that this provides, but it is completely optional and your meal will still be delicious if you opt to skip this step!
- Again, you can find the recipe for Crock Pot Barbecue Chicken here! Start this in the morning so you’ll minimize your work at dinner time.
- If you don’t want to use the crock pot method, cooking the chicken in a pan is fine too! Just dice two large chicken breasts and cook in a pan over medium heat with a little olive oil until cooked through.
- If you’re really in a rush, sweet potatoes can be cooked in the microwave! Poke holes in the skin of the potatoes with a fork, and you have the option to use the instructions above to coat in olive oil and sprinkle with salt if you would like. The salt and olive oil are not required for microwave cooking. For four sweet potatoes, begin with heating them for 10 minutes at full power in the microwave, and then in one minute increments after if they are not tender enough after that initial 10 minute cooking. For a single sweet potato, start with five minutes at full power and then continue in one minute increments until they reach the perfect tenderness for you.
- Feel free to substitute toppings that you love! Other great topping options include minced onions, cilantro, and diced tomatoes.