This Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread is the perfect side dish to elevate your summer cooking! Not only does it deliver a delightful kick of spice, but its moist and tender texture will have you coming back for seconds. Whether you’re planning a backyard gathering, a potluck with friends, or simply craving a crowd-pleasing treat, this Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread recipe is a perfect treat.
The zesty heat of jalapenos and creamy richness of cheddar cheese is a winning combination that will bring a burst of flavor to any summer occasion. Serve it alongside your favorites from the grill or main dishes like this crockpot barbecue chicken, salads, and refreshing beverages under the warm summer sun!
You can store the wrapped cornbread at room temperature for up to 2 days. If you plan to store it for longer, it’s best to refrigerate it. Allow the cornbread to cool completely before storing it. This helps prevent excess moisture and condensation from forming. Once cooled, wrap the cornbread tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to protect it from drying out and maintain its freshness.
To refrigerate, place the wrapped cornbread in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag. Properly stored, it can last for about 4-5 days in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to enjoy the cornbread, you can reheat it. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C), unwrap the cornbread, and place it on a baking sheet. Heat it in the oven for about 10 minutes or until warmed through. You can also wrap individual slices in a damp paper towel and microwave them for about 20-30 seconds.
To freeze, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. You can wrap it as a whole or cut it into individual portions for easier serving later. This can be frozen for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy the frozen cornbread, remove it from the freezer and thaw it in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature for a few hours. Once thawed, you can reheat it. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C), unwrap the cornbread, and place it on a baking sheet. Heat it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes or until warmed through.
Want to make it vegan?
It is easy to make this delicious side dish vegan! You don’t have to miss out if you follow a plant-based diet or have dairy or egg allergies. Try the substitutes listed below…
To make one cup of vegan buttermilk, add one tablespoon of either lemon juice or vinegar (apple cider vinegar or white vinegar will both work) to one cup of non-dairy milk. Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes at room temperature. This allows the acid to react with the milk and create a buttermilk-like consistency. After 5 minutes, the non-dairy milk will thicken slightly and may appear curdled. This is normal and expected. Add to the recipe as the instructions below describe.
For vegan butter, Earth Balance brand is my favorite.
To replace the eggs, you can make an egg replacer out of ground flaxseeds. Just mix 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds with 6 tablespoons of water. Stir well and allow the mixture to sit for about five minutes to thicken. Then, add it to the recipe below following the same instructions you would for the eggs.
I hope you enjoy these modifications that will allow you to try this jalapeno cheddar cornbread recipe no matter what your dietary requirements may be!
Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar optional, for a touch of sweetness
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeno peppers seeds removed and finely diced
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease a 9-inch square baking dish or cast-iron skillet.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar (if using). Stir until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix; a few lumps are okay.
- Fold in the shredded cheddar cheese and diced jalapenos, distributing them evenly throughout the batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased baking dish or skillet and spread it out evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the cornbread cool for a few minutes before cutting it into squares or wedges. Serve warm.