When we received an air fryer for Christmas this past year, we also received The Essential Vegetarian Air Fryer Cookbook: 75+ Easy Meatless Recipes with it! The author introduced me to savory stuffed French toast! This dish combines the comforting flavors of French toast with the savory goodness of spinach and cheese. And while I’ve loved all of their recipes we’ve tried so far, this is one that I’ve tailored to our own tastes and preferences and modified quite a bit. I hope you like my version too!
This is a perfect weekend breakfast or brunch recipe that my whole family loves. We make traditional French toast often too, but this is a fun and unique change to an old favorite! It is very filling and provides an opportunity to get some more veggies into your diet. If you’re hosting a family brunch for Easter, this savory stuffed french toast would make a delicious addition to the menu. The bright green spinach filling will add a pop of color to your table, and the cheesy, savory flavors will be a hit with everyone. This is also a great recipe to consider for Mother’s Day since it is easy to prepare, but looks impressive and tastes amazing!
These are my essentials for making this recipe! Now that we’ve had the air fryer for a few months, I can safely say it has become one of the most frequently used appliances we own. I only wish we would have tried it sooner! I think it will be great for cooking in the summer because the oven function does not heat up our kitchen as much as our regular oven does. I’ve also linked the source of the original recipe below and my favorite brand of cast iron pans. I use them for sauteeing the veggies in this recipe, and just about everything else I cook too!
Spinach Stuffed Savory French Toast
- 1/2 cup Havarti cheese shredded
- 2-3 large handfulls of fresh spinach
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 slices French bread or freshly made sandwich bread, about 1.5" wide
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk we use unsweetened almond milk
- Slice your bread into thick slices, approximately 1.5" wide. Cut a pocket into the top of each slice, cutting into the center of the bread and out toward each side, but not all the way through the other end. You just want to form a pocket, not cut the slice in half.
- In a medium sized bowl, add both cheeses, the dill weed, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium sized pan, add the olive oil and finely chopped onions. Cook over low to medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and the fresh spinach to the pan, and cook just until the spinach starts to wilt. Remove from heat.
- Combine the spinach mixture with the cheese and seasonings, and stir well to create the filling.
- Stuff each slice of bread with the filling.
- In a bowl, add the two eggs and milk, and whisk together well.
- Spray the rack or basket of your air fryer with nonstick spray.
- Dip each slice of stuffed bread into the egg and milk mixture, being sure to coat both sides.
- Place the slices into your air fryer, and fry at 350 degrees for about 4 minutes on each side, or until both sides are crispy and golden.
Looking for more breakfast ideas? Check here!
Leave a Comment